Slow Cooked Cuban Pulled Pork Sandwiches


Pulled Pork!!!  Need I say more?
I've been wanting to do pulled pork for some time now.  I thought that BBQ would be too easy and I wanted to broaden my horizons a bit....Cuban pulled pork sandwiches.
Armed with several online recipes I purchased a lot of spices and citrus.
Cumin seeds, peppercorns and garden coriander seeds were toasted to release their oils.  The smell was so awesome and when I put them in the spice grinder, it smoked as if it was on fire, and the smell was ultra concentrated.  I then mixed it with course salt and dried oregano.
I coated my pork loin, cut into thirds, with this mixture, on all sides.
Then I seared all sides of the pork in my Gordon Ramsay saucepan.  
FYI-I love my GR pots and pans.  They came with little sacks to keep them all in, which can be used to polish the stainless steel.  I tried to keep them in the sacks, but that didn't last very long.
In my crockpot in put orange juice, lime juice and lemon juice plus the carcasses from the fruit.  It didn't look like there would be enough liquid, but the pork released its juices and added to the citrus...YUM!
After 5 1/2 hours of cooking time, most on low heat, then high towards the end, my pork was ready to pull.  It just fell off, I used my tongs and barely had to put any pressure on it for it to shred.
We brought out the George Foreman grill and grilled up some pineapple slices, chopped some cilantro, and our sandwich station was ready to begin operation.
I can't tell you how hard it was to take the time to snap photos of this....I wanted to try it so bad.
Hence the dirty plate.  I plated this with sweet potato chips (homemade) and 
pickle slices on toasted filone rolls.  I dont have a reference for what these should be, as Im not sure Ive ever eaten a cuban sandwich, but I got thumbs up all around.  I loved the citrus blast, and even added some extra sauce on mine.  I would love some feedback on 
other spices or flavors that would have worked.
I tried to make some cilantro mayo for this, but I was very low on mayo, so I added a little water and cilantro to the mayo container, but it came out more like white water.
A true cilantro mayo would have been extremely good 
on both the sandwich and the chips.
el padre ha logrado alimentar a su rebaño.
Which according to google translation means...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VIDEO of me throwing pizza dough

Herbed Scallops with Bacon and Shallots

What have my efforts paid off with so far in the garden....