Spiced Herb Roasted Chicken with Roasted Beets and Potato

I have SO many herbs in the garden that I had to start using them...A LOT.
So herb roasted chicken came to mind.  I thought that if herbs are good, then spiced herbs 
would be better.  I added a few uncommon spices to perk up the skin of the bird.
The photo below shows most of the ingredients I used, which included, but was not
limited to....garlic, ground coriannder, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, bitters, soy sauce, 
worchester sauce and cholula with herbs from the garden, rosemary, oregano, mint and dill.
I put all this, plus a few secrets, into a large ziplock bag and 
let it marinate in the fridge for about 3 hours.  I made sure to flip the bag several times
to make sure the chicken was evenly nated.


For the veggies, I went the easy route tonight and cooked everything in the same
pan.  First I chopped beets, potatoes and onions and put them in a bowl
to cover them with olive oil, s/p and a mixture of my own dried herbs that I like to
call Herbs de Reid.  I also added mushy rooms.


I tried to layer, so the veggie mixture went in first.


Then I added lots of garden herbs and lemons.


Then the marinated chicken.
I had bought a whole chicken, removed the spine 
and quartered it to save money.


A little over an hour later, I had this!


I wish I had done the veggies and chicken separate, or at least drained
the veggies a few times.  With the beets, mushys and chicken all releasing juices, the
potatoes did not get as crisp as I would have liked.
When I noticed this I drained and put the veggies back in the oven.
Zach had karate, so I was a bit rushed for time, and I couldn't leave them 
in long enough for a Father approved crunch.
However, the meal was still a success.  The chicken was
extremely moist and juicy and had a ton of herb flavor.

Flock was, once again, fed!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VIDEO of me throwing pizza dough

What have my efforts paid off with so far in the garden....

Herbed Scallops with Bacon and Shallots