Rustic Chicken and Dumplings

So I went to Kroger with no idea what I was going to make for dinner.
I walked past the chicken and thought I'd do a rotisserie chicken, simple and delicious.
So I ventured over to find the perfect veggie compliment.
Kroger had a package of different veggies meant for stew; carrots, celery, onions, cabbage
and a few other things.  It immediately reminded me of the veggie
portion of chicken and dumplings.  BAM!
Mind changed!
I quickly looked up a recipe to get the right ingredients, I didn't like the
recipe, but I had my base.  I saw Trisha Yearwood make C & D on tv, so
I combined the recipes and used what I liked from each.
Ingredients included onions, celery, carrots (the holy trinity), garden thyme,
chicken stock, sherry and a whole chicken.
I boiled the chicken for 2 hours until it was fall-off-the-bone tender.


After that I sauteed that trinity in butter and olive oil and thyme.


I added some flour to soak up the fat, then added sherry and 
unsalted chicken stock.  Then I simmered it for a while.


I used flour, baking soda, salt, butter, milk and thyme to create
the dough for the dumplings.  I rolled it out thin.


And cut it into un-uniform pieces.


I plopped the dumplings into the bubbling, gooey sauce.


I let it cooked, covered, for 15 minutes. 
This is how it looked right before it was vortex-sucked into my
pie hole!


This was probably the best C & D that I've ever had.
The Dutchess said that first.
The broth was thick and creamy and savory and full of chickeny
goodness.  Zachary ate almost an entire bowl.
I would have to say that not only was it the best C & D, but its in 
the top 5 things I've cooked since starting FFF.

Best thing, is that there is a lot left over, so I will relive this
awesomeness tomorrow!!!!

Father definitely fed the flock, and will again!!!

Comments

  1. This sounds amazing Todd! I love chicken & dumplings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Chops with Honey and Garlic, Tourneed Turnips, Mushroom Rice and Broccoli Spears

Cornish Game Hens, Corn Soufflé and Twice Baked Potatoes

Dutchess' Birthday At Spoon