BBQ Asian Salmon and Grilled Napa Cabbage and Mint with Water Chestnut Salad

Sticking with the Asian theme, I scoured the net, and found this recipe.
Using herbs from our garden and mostly stuff from our co-op, all we needed
was the salmon, and we were set.
First I marinated the salmon in mint, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar and ginger.
The recipe called for chopped ginger, but I added the leftover ginger slices.
I marinated in the fridge for about 30 minutes.


This is a close up of the left over marinade, it will become the
dressing for the slaw.


I added a few items that the recipe didn't mention, and I think it
added a bit to the experience.  First addition was the
water chestnuts I got in the co-op.  I wish I had added more,
they were very tasty.


I also added a grilling to the napa cabbage, first I drizzled 
olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.


The rest of the slaw called for mint, but I added
some cilantro.  I think it helped a lot, as the mint flavor
was still a bit much.  The next time I do this, I will lessen the
amount of mint.


The grilling of the cabbage added a level of flavor that
was quite welcome.


I added some slices of ginger to the bbq grilled salmon, which was cooked 
to a perfect medium rare.


I plated by mounding the slaw and placing the salmon
slightly on it.  I cheated on this meal and bought some
pre made egg rolls.  I used the included duck sauce but 
added some chili sauce for some spice.


The only thing that I can complain about is that the mint
flavor was a bit overpowering.  Otherwise, this meal was extremely 
fresh and healthy, with a small exception to the prepared egg roll.

Zachary was true to form and did not like the slaw, but ate his usual one bite 
to make sure. but he liked the egg roll and salmon.

Again, the father's flock was fed!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VIDEO of me throwing pizza dough

What have my efforts paid off with so far in the garden....

Herbed Scallops with Bacon and Shallots