Pot Roast Risotto, Not Pot Roast AND Risotto!


I picked up 2 cookbooks at half priced books the other day.  One by Gordon Ramsay
and the other by Tyler Florence.  I was flipping thru them both this evening,
and came across this gem in Tyler's book.
It intrigued me cause of the semantics of the title...Pot Roast Risotto.
He didn't say it was pot roast with risotto, or pot roast and risotto.
I found out the reason why, when I tasted it.

To start off, you sear and brown a shoulder roast in olive oil.  


After it  is crusted on all sides, you add onions, garlic, thyme, red wine 
and beef stock.  Put this into the oven and slow cook it for 2-3 hours.



Once the meat is done, strain it to reserve the liquid, and keep the meat warm.
Put some olive oil in a skillet, cook some onions til tender.
Add some arborio rice and coat with the oil.  Add white wine and 
cook until the wine is absorbed.  Then add 1 cup of the roast liquid
and stir constantly until the liquid is absorbed. 


Continue this process until the rice is creamy, but still has
a little bite to it (10-15 minutes).


When the rice is ready, add butter and grated parmesan cheese.
Garnish with flat leaf parsley.


The risotto is made with the stock produced by the pot roast
and served in the same dish as the pot roast.
Thus, the name, pot roast risotto!


Um....YES PLEASE!!!!
The risotto was creamy, but had a great beef flavor.
The roast was extremely tender and full of flavor.
I used some leftover stock to moisten it further.


I got 2 hugs from Zachary for this meal.  One for the roast
and then another for the risotto!

I love risotto, and this was different, but
in the same ballpark of awesomeness!

The father fed his flock!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VIDEO of me throwing pizza dough

What have my efforts paid off with so far in the garden....

Herbed Scallops with Bacon and Shallots