Homemade Chicken Sausage with Apples and Chardonnay


For christmas last year, I got a meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid.
I'm not sure why it took me so long to use it, but I finally did last night!
In high school, I worked at an Italian Deli, that made and sold sausage too.
So this really isn't my first rodeo with making sausage, but I digress.
I got some chicken thighs, red onion, granny smith apples and...
wait for it....chardonnay!!!!
Send the thighs through the grinder with the skin.


This is what it looked like after first grind, then adding
all the ingredients.  Then you send this through for a second grind.


You come up with this.  
Looks very appetizing, don't it?
Maybe something a dog threw up?
Believe it or not, without cooking it yet, it smelled 
quite good.


So now, you change to the sausage stuffer, put on the casing (which is
just like putting on a condom) then put the mixture though and stuff
the casings.  I used hog casings.


I used about 2 feet of casings, but that wasn't enough for all 
the meat, but plenty for dinner.


I should've twisted the segments much more, cause after
I split them, they shrunk during cooking and some 
of the chicken escaped.


Mashed potatoes with cheddar cheese and some peas, 
and we had our first homemade sausage feast!
The Dutchess made some honey mustard dipping sauce
that completed the meal nicely.


I had quite a bit of meat leftover, so I added some fennel and cumin seeds,
oregano, onion & garlic powder, to make it into breakfast sausage.
I put down some plastic wrap, and shaped it into a log then placed
it into the freezer.


I woke up this morning, sliced off a few slices.
Wow!  These were awesome.  They went perfectly with
our pancakes (made with a little coconut milk) and eggs.


There you have it....homemade chicken sausage 2 ways!!

Thumbs up all around.  This was Zachary approved, and
he even gave me a hug cause he liked it so much.


FINALLY, the father fed homemade sausage to his flock!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VIDEO of me throwing pizza dough

What have my efforts paid off with so far in the garden....

Herbed Scallops with Bacon and Shallots