Venison Sausage


Still have tons of venison, so I thought I'd make some sausage.
We are doing our annual tradition of spending New Years Eve
with our good friends, the Millers, and this year we are cooking
a bunch of appetizers or small plates or tapas for grazing.
One of the things we discussed is small individual pizzas, so 
this sausage will be perfect for that.

I started with a 2-1 ratio of venison to pork fat.  I chose
salt pork due to its high fat content, and its close relation to bacon
and I used meat from the ham portion of the deer.


I sent this through the course grinder.


This is what it looks like after the first grind.
I thought it looked a bit chunky, so I took half of 
it and sent it through a second time, then mixed the two together.


I included panko, dry mustard, shiner, white wine, rubbed sage, herbs d Reid,
fennel seeds, s/p and lest of meyer lemons (plus 1 normal).


This is what it looked like before I put it back through to encase it.


I got almost 2 lengths of casings filled and it looks great.
I used the meat that was leftover in the machine to form a patty, which I
cooked right on the spot.  Tasted great, not gamey.  The wine
and the lemon added a great flavor.


I hope the linked sausage does as good as the tester.
I assume it will!

Happy New Year to you all!!!
Thank you for spending some time with the Father as he
Feeds his Flock.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VIDEO of me throwing pizza dough

What have my efforts paid off with so far in the garden....

Herbed Scallops with Bacon and Shallots