Pork Chops with Chanterelle Mushroom Israeli Couscous





I haven't posted in a while so I went to the store with the idea of
smothered pork chops so I could use my new Le Creuset deep cover saute pan.

I got the chops, shallots, tomatoes and dried chanterelle mushrooms.
I already had cucumbers, carrots, celery, dates, italian parsley and garlic.
First I brined the chops for a few hours in a mixture of salt, 
sugar, peppercorns and bay leaf.


I then created my mise en place!
Hey, I'm in culinary school so I may start using some
fancy words here.
Mise en place, simply means everything in its place,
or get all your ingredients prepared before you start cooking.


I reconstituted the mushrooms in boiling water.
I plan to use both the mushys and the mushy stock.


I started by sauteing my mirepoix in clarified butter, accept I used shallots
instead of onions, I also added the garlic.  


I took this mixture out and seared the chops in the same pan.
I par boiled the Israeli couscous and added the mirepoix, mushys/stock
and dates.  After the chops were browned, I put everything back into the
pan and baked them in the oven for about 18 minutes.
I scooped the veggie couscous and mounded on the plate, then I placed 
the chop on top.  For the other side, I fanned out alternating
tomato and cucumber slices.


This turned out awesome!  The pork chops were moist and delicious.
The couscous had a great mushyroom flavor.
This is the first time that I've used dried mushrooms, and I will 
start doing it more often.
I got 3 thumbs up on this one.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VIDEO of me throwing pizza dough

What have my efforts paid off with so far in the garden....

Herbed Scallops with Bacon and Shallots