Chicken Cacciatore with Rosemary Rice


I like a recipe that call for red wine, cause thats an excuse to 
get the big bottle.  So I was happy when Dutchie showed me this
recipe in Cooks Country magazine.
I have somewhat of a past with chicken cacciatore...my mom liked to 
cook this ALL the time.  The first time she did, I got some of the gristle/fat from the
chicken and it made me gag.  It took about 35 years for me
to get over that.  Every time I even heard someone say cacciatore, I would 
immediately remember that I DID NOT LIKE IT, and I WON'T eat it.
Then, after 35 years, I realized that it was a fluke and not cacciatore's
fault that I had a bad meal.  So I've done it a couple of times, and now
welcome it.

First, as always...mise en place!
Chicken breast, onions, red pepper, garlic, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, olive oil,
chicken stock and fresh rosemary were prepared and ready to add in order.
Portabella mushys were also involved, with the gills removed to 
make sure they didn't alter the texture of the sauce.


Browned the chicken, then removed.
Browned the mushys, then removed.
Sautéed the onions, peppers and garlic until slightly translucent.


Deglaze with the wine, chicken stock and tomato paste, then 
put the chicken and mushys back in.  This cooks for an additional
10 minutes so the chicken is fully cooked and the flavors
have a chance to meld together.


I threw some basmati rice in the rice cooker and added a bay leaf and
some of the fresh rosemary.  Plated with the sauce surrounding the rice
and the veggies mounding over the chicken.



Man, I loved this dish!  Fairly light, with a sweetness from the peppers,
an earthiness from the mushrooms, and a perfect complement to the sauce in the 
white rice.  We had leftovers, so both Dutchie and I will eat this again for lunch.

Zachary had a big weekend and wasn't feeling 100% so 
he only ate a little bit.  He wasn't a big fan of the sauce or the peppers,
but liked the rice, chicken and mushys.

Overall, I call this a successfully fed flock!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VIDEO of me throwing pizza dough

Herbed Scallops with Bacon and Shallots

What have my efforts paid off with so far in the garden....