Thanksgiving Pot Pie


So like everyone else, I had some thanksgiving leftovers, and friday I was wondering what else to do with them.  I already had the obligatory turkey, brie and cranberry sandwich.
I saw a short cooking segment on the today show, they ALWAYS run out of time and don't show the whole thing.  At the end the chef just mentioned and quickly 
showed a small turkey pot pie.
BINGO!!!
I know what we're eating tonight!

So I quickly looked at a few recipes online, and got the gist of it and then I went for it, using only my brain as a weapon.
I started by gathering what I thought would work...turkey, mashed potatoes, baked corn and puffed pastry was all left over from thanksgiving.  I added celery, onion, garlic, chicken stock and frozen peas.
I chopped everything up and fired up the cast iron skillet.
Olive oil was heated, then I put in the onions, 
celery, garlic and corn.
After they softened up a bit, I added the turkey, mashed potatoes (and gravy) and
chicken stock and a few tablespoons of flour to thicken and some parsley.  I slowly brought it to a boil.
In the meantime, I put a sheet of puff pastry into a round pie dish and blind baked it to start the cooking process.  
After my mixture thickened up and the bottom crust was slightly browned...
I added the mixture into the pan, and topped it with another sheet of puff pastry.  A couple of slits and some salt and pepper and we were off.


I had a little white meat, but mostly dark meat leftover.
I love how thick the mixture got.


Out of the oven, the pot pie was golden brown and
smelled awesome.


Here is our leftover meal leftovers.
I will have this for lunch tomorrow too!!


I served the pot pie with our cranberry relish and I have to tell you that this was an awesome meal.  I ended up spreading the cranberries all over my slice
and it provided a tang to the creamy and delicious pot pie.


I have to say that only 2/3rds of the flock was successfully fed, as Zachary was not a fan.
He had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich....
His loss!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VIDEO of me throwing pizza dough

What have my efforts paid off with so far in the garden....

Himalayan Salt Plate Cooking