Hand Made Ravioli

Zachary requested ravioli for dinner the other day, so I thought...
This will be easy.  Open a can, heat and serve....NOT!
If you have ever read this blog, you know that would not be happening.
He told me that he wanted beef, but I though cheese would be a better option.  So I, of course, made both!
The first thing I did was browned the meat so that it could cool down.  This is so the pasta doesn't start cooking from the heat/steam from the cooked meat.  I simply added some garlic, finely chopped onions and a small amount of marinara.  Set that aside to cool.  I then created the cheese mixture.  ricotta, egg and some grated parmesan.


The next step is the pasta.  Flour, salt and eggs were kneaded together to create a ball of pasta.  I used whole eggs, with some additional yolks.  This helps with the egginess of the pasta, as well as that nice slightly orange color.  After letting it rest for about 30 minutes, I began putting through the pasta machine.  Something therapeutic about making pasta.  It's so easy, but can be messed up quickly and often.  Overworking your pasta or not the right combo of ingredients and you could be in for a lousy meal.


Using a small scoop, I placed the meat in little piles, spaced appropriately apart, on one half of the sheet.  This becomes the bottom of your ravioli.  Then you moisten the other side and flip it over to cover.  Carefully seal the pasta around the balls of meat or cheese.  Try to get this as tight as possible cause you don't want any air bubbles or pockets.  I did the exact same thing with the cheese.
Once I had them sealed,  I used a fancy ravioli tool, that cuts and seals each ravioli.


This was the first time I have used this tool and I was extremely happy with the results.  They looked professional or store bought.  I boiled a pot of heavily salted water and cooked them for a few minutes in batches.  I had planned on the cheese being dressed with parsley and olive oil and the beef served with marinara. However, when we started eating them, the cheese tasted really good with the marinara too.


This meal was not very difficult, but it was quite involved, with multiple steps.  It was also....TOTALLY worth it!







Divertitevi! Il padre la mano fa un po' di pasta per assicurarsi che il suo gregge è alimentato.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VIDEO of me throwing pizza dough

What have my efforts paid off with so far in the garden....

Herbed Scallops with Bacon and Shallots