Chicken Enchiladas, Homemade Refried Beans and Mexican Corn Crema



I was craving enchiladas so chicken was the obvious choice.
My mother always made the best chicken enchiladas, but 
I didn't use her recipe.  I just made this up on the fly.
I cheated a bit and used a prepared sauce, but everything else
was all me baby!


First up I cooked some pinto beans simply with some bay leaves.
I held it in the fridge until ready to refry.


I choose thighs to keep the meat juicy and flavorful.  I pan fried
them till almost done with some green chilies.


Once it was almost cooked, but not quite as it would still
cook a bit when rolled up with cheese.


I sliced the thighs pretty thin to somewhat resemble
pulled chicken.  I then chopped up the chilies and some
scallions and I mixed it all together.


I dipped the corn tortillas into the sauce to make them pliable
and add some moisture, then rolled up the filling and
arranged them in a casserole dish.


I poured the rest of the sauce over and then sprinkled
a nice layer of shredded cheese.


Popped into the oven to heat through and melt the cheese.


I've had this awesome side dish at a Pollo Regio and it was 
SO good, but SO unhealthy.  Lots of mayo, crema and butter.  I mean
A LOT.  It was very good but too rich.  However, I wanted
to recreate this, but more reasonable.  I took 3 corn cobs and striped of
the kernels.  Then I butter poached it.  When ready to serve, I added
some crema, cilantro and queso fresco.
This turned out so good, and not too rich.  I will
definitely be doing this again.


I refried the beans in bacon fat, then mashed them.
I plated them with an avocado and topped the enchies with
crema, scallions and black olives.

This was very tasty and satisfying.
I got thumbs up all around.  Zachary even had a second enchilada.
The star was the corn crema though.

While this may not be the healthiest meal...
I was able to control the sodium levels and fat as opposed to
getting it from a restaurant or in a processed form.

I was very happy with the outcome, and best thing is....
Leftovers for lunch for both Dutchess & I!!!

Flock fed!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VIDEO of me throwing pizza dough

What have my efforts paid off with so far in the garden....

Herbed Scallops with Bacon and Shallots