Herb harvest for drying


I harvested some herbs for drying this season.  
Pictured is (l to r) Rosemary, Mint, Lavender, Thyme and Oregano.

Everything except the lavender were washed, dried and placed in a paper bag, tightly rolled to complete the drying process.  Lavender was dried on a cookie sheet.  I know that some may say this is not the way to do it and you risk mold.  
I say, HA!  I've done this several times, and have yet to have moldy herbs.  I washed them and then tightly rolled them in a towel to squeeze the water out of them, so I hope I will be safe again this time.  


I usually keep a small lunch sack on my kitchen counter and whenever I use fresh herbs, I put the leftovers and stems (that always seem to have a few leaves left on them) into this bag.  After several months all of these have dried and I clean and grind them through a colander to produce what I refer to as Herbs De Reid.




As I had all this homegrown awesomeness in front of me...I couldn't JUST dry them for future use.
I made a thyme infused olive oil, a rosemary/garlic infused vegetable oil, mint/cinnamon apple cider and lavender/herb tea.  



I also used them in the next day or two to make lavender rice, thyme/oregano red snapper and a slider that included lavender and onions.
Tonight I will use some more rosemary to herb crust our steaks, and also use more thyme for our sautéed zucchini.

I will use these dried herbs for SEVERAL meals that will successfully feed my flock.
Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VIDEO of me throwing pizza dough

What have my efforts paid off with so far in the garden....

Herbed Scallops with Bacon and Shallots